Friday 19 August 2016

Model Poses (Millum & Ferguson)

Marjorie Ferguson: Female Poses
Recently in my Media Studies lessons, I have learned about model poses within a front cover and their effect on the audience, in order to give me an enhanced understanding of them and also to give me ideas and reasonings behind the choices I will make when I shoot my magazine's central model in the upcoming weeks. I am very pleased with the knowledge I have gained and really enjoyed learning about the way in which different poses can have several connotations and can fit specific genres of magazine.
Below, I have created a Prezi on these poses and some examples to remind me of/give me an idea of how they appear. If you cannot view this Prezi, please click the link below:


https://prezi.com/1gglhvlctax2/model-poses-female/#





Trevor Millum: Male Poses
As we did not cover any male poses within the Media lesson, I decided to take on some independent research, and look into studies on the male poses. I found some research completed my Trevor Millum, who studied various advertisements featuring males, within women's magazines. He found five variations of poses:          
- Carefree: within the carefree pose, the models appeared healthy and active looking and were also looking happy and smiling          
- Practical: the practical pose embraced a serious, engaged look, in which the models had their mouths closed and often maintained a small frown in order to portray a look of concentration          
- Seductive: the seductive pose exuded confidence, with a possible slight smile and eyes that were never quite fully open          - Comic: these poses were centralised around humour and were obviously deliberately funny and slightly exaggerated          
- Catalogue: within the catalogue pose, the model was vacant looking, with an artificial appearing, blank expression portraying elements of emptiness and lack of personality
As the model I am planing on using is female, I have taken a larger focus into the female area of model poses, but I found it important to consider both sexes within model poses.

No comments:

Post a Comment