Wednesday 16 November 2016

Target Audience Interview Feedback

In my previous post, I interviewed two girls of my specific target audience on various aspects of a regional magazine to gather information on what they would like to see in a regional magazine and what qualities would convince them to buy a regional magazine etc. Within the videos, a two-shot was used throughout the handheld footage. I used this type of shot as I believed it would suit an interview's purpose best. It gave a clear view of the interviewer and interviewee whilst involving the audience in the full communicational exchange between the two subjects. This means that facial expressions, reactions and movement is clear to the audience when viewing this video of both subjects, accompanying the dialogue of the video.

The first question I asked was, 'How much would you be willing to pay for a professional regional magazine?'
Both of my interviewees commented that they would pay in the region of £3-£4 for a professional regional magazine. I believe for a high quality, professional magazine, this is an adequate price to maintain the business of the magazine, whilst also remaining affordable for my audience. Therefore, I will consider placing the magazine at around this price.

The second questions I enquired was, 'What encourages you to buy a magazine?'
My first interviewee, Layla, commented that she would prefer a strong connection to where she is from, as she believes it gives her more interesting content than national and international magazines. As a member of my target audience, it is positive that Layla would like the magazine to maintain strong regional elements, therefore I will certainly be ensuring that my magazine places itself within the heart of Newcastle.
My second interviewee, Holly, stated that she likes a magazine to have a strong online presence in order or her to follow them on social media and keep up to date. I would really like my magazine to obtain several social media accounts, as well as a website in order to maintain a close relationship with my audience. This ensures that my magazine is loyal to it's readers, communicating with them daily in order to cater towards what they want, whilst also keeping the magazine active for the audience between the monthly issues. Therefore, I will be creating a website and several social media accounts for my magazine.

Next, I asked, 'Do you prefer a text or image led double-page spread?'
Layla firstly commented that she really likes when a double-page spread has a striking image, however she also likes the spread to have an interesting article to support this image. Therefore, Layla generally prefers both and I will consider this when designing my double-page spread.
Then, Holly agreed she prefers a 'halfy-half- approach', portraying to me that my target audience may be those who are able to appreciate both. This may be due to the exploration of art that my target audience members are drawn towards in areas of photographical art and creative writing through the double-page spread. Therefore, I will ensure that both image and text are strong and are given equal spotlight within the spread.

Furthermore, I went on to enquire, 'Would you prefer a question and answer (interview) style in your double-page spread, or would you like a story?'
Layla believes that Question and Answer/Interview styled articles are easy to read as they allow you to skip to the parts that you are particularly interested in, however she also believes that its good to read a good story.
Holly felt that stories engage her more in relation to double-page spreads. This informs me that both members of my target audience find stories engaging in a double-page spread, however question/answer may be more convenient. From this, I believe that my double-page spread will most likely be a story.

I then asked, 'Do prefer several images or one main image?'
Layla preferred one main image, however she believed that having several sub-images around this was more effective. In pages such as the contents page, I believe this will be predominantly useful, as I will have the ability to place images from various articles of the magazine to cause the audience to want to read on.
Holly stated that she preferred one main image as she believes that too many images may take the attention away from the rest of the magazine. From this I have decided I will employ one main image, and use several sub-images. I will not use too many sub-images so that the contents of the magazine are crowded.

Moreover I questioned, 'What colors are you most attracted to?'
Layla generally goes for more neutral colours, for example pinks and nudes, however she also really likes a pop of colour for example, red.
Holly, however, takes a more dark and dramatics approach and appreciates, burgundy, burnt orange, reds and golds. The use of red appears to be a favourable colour for my magazine's colour scheme. The use of gold always compliments this shade. I will consider using these particular types of colour within my magazine.

I followed this question up by asking, 'Do you like these particular colours within your make up?'
Firstly, Layla stated that she prefers gold and copper shades, making these an ideal basis for make up looks within the magazine.
Holly agreed when asked if she preferred reds, golds, oranges and purples within her own make up. The frequent reoccurrence of red and gold are perfect shades in any make up look. These also reflect not the fact that my magazine will be the winter/Christmas issue, complimenting the use of red and gold and warmer colours within the magazine.

Next, I asked, 'Would you prefer a hard copy of a magazine or would you refer to read it on something like a tablet?'
Layla prefers to have a hard copy each month, but she also enjoys catching up online and likes that she can keep up to date if she doesn't have time to pick up a copy. From this, I know my target audience would prefer to have both elements of the magazine. Layla's comment about being on the go and unable to purchase a copy also opens the magazine up to monthly delivered subscriptions in order to ensure that my audience have access to each issue.
Similarly, Holly likes a hard copy, but in reference to her preference of online presence, she also likes the ease of keeping up to date online. This backs up the idea that my target audience should have access to social media accounts and a website,

Lastly, I asked, 'What sorts of contents and articles would you like to see in the magazine?'
Layla would like to see articles about art in her area, but would also prefer to be informed of new make-up trends etc. I find that my monthly issue would be the perfect product to feature art and, for example, feature a particular event/location within the area. Whereas, new make up trends are always emerging and changing, therefore, the website and social media accounts would be a more suitable place for these kinds of features.
Holly would like to see something really artistic in reference to make up. She would like to see a change in perspective on make up. My audience predominantly are those who paint their face everyday with the stereotypical make up looks. Therefore, I will include some more contemporary looks and incorporations of art into make up, in order to bring something refreshing and new to my audience, which hopefully leaves them wanting to purchase future issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment